I am always in search of "non-lettuce" salads, and this Watermelon Feta Salad with Avocado is the perfect blend of refreshing, salty and sweet. Here, my talented friend Lorie from Lemons + Zest has created one of the best! She is is my go to resource for salads, sheet pan dinners, and home made pop-tarts.
Enjoy a simple, delicious summer salad with this Watermelon Feta Salad with Avocado. Fresh and juicy watermelon, avocado, red onion, lots of freshly chopped cilantro and crumbles of feta make this easy salad recipe so delicious and refreshing.
Watermelon is the definition of summer to me. Give me a watermelon margarita and a big bowl of this watermelon, feta, and avocado salad, some sunshine and I am set.
Nothing says summer like a big juicy slice of watermelon. So refreshing!
WATERMELON FETA SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- Watermelon: Since watermelon can vary so much in size and weight, I went with about 5 cups cubed watermelon versus measuring by the ½ or ¼ watermelon, etc. You don't have to be 100% exact on the measurement as you can always add a touch more oil, feta, etc. to get it all balanced out.
- Avocado: Nice and ripe, but not mushy. You want it to cube up really nice.
- Feta: I prefer to buy a feta block and then crumble it. The flavor and moisture is so superior to pre-crumbled feta. Both will work, but if you can get it blocked, by all means, do it!
- Red Onion: If you have some picky eaters in the family you can skip the onions and it is just as good.
- Cilantro: You can never ever ever have too much cilantro in my opinion. But also see above.
- Olive Oil: a good, flavorful olive oil will round it out well
- Balsamic Vinegar: If you don't have any, a red wine vinegar will work as well.
- Lemon Juice: This will help keep the avocado from turning brown before you eat it as well!
- Sea Salt/Cracked Pepper: To taste
- 5 c cubed watermelon
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ c feta¼ c red onion diced
- ½ c cilantro chopped
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Optional add in: arugula
Remove skin from avocado and cut into bite sized pieces.
In a medium bowl, combine watermelon, cilantro, red onion, feta and avocado and gently mix together.
Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Pour dressing over salad and stir to coat. Top with more feta if desired.
Chill for 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy on a hot summer day. Serve over a bed of arugula if desired or mix it right into the salad!